The department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of the Bombay Hospital Indore has been in existence since 2003. It is one of the premiere tertiary centre’s for women’s health in Indore. The good health of every woman is the objective of this department.The department offers state of the art facilities for problems that women face.
The following is a list of issues that are tackled at this institute
- Problems of adolescence and puberty. The health of young girls
- Infertility. Problems in getting pregnant
- Miscarriage and recurrent miscarriage. Where a pregnancy does not grow.
- Deliveries—including complicated deliveries such as pregnancy with high blood pressure or Diabetes or heart disease and other medical issues.
- Menstruation related problems.
- Family Planning counseling or contraception.
- Ovarian cysts
- Menopause. The issues concerning women after the periods have stopped.
- Vaginal and vulval disorders. Infections and disease of the front passage.
- Hormonal disturbances e.g. PCOS
- Cancers related to the female organs.
- IUI i.e. infertility laboratory
Antenatal care is handled by consultants. We have dedicated physiotherapists to advice regarding antenatal exercises. For those needing special dietary considerations we have a dietician also available.
We have an excellent labour ward with staff who offer tender, loving care. The doctors are present at all times, so emergencies are handled effectively. There is facility for epidural analgesia for those keen on having painless labour. We have a state of the art CTG or NST which helps us in monitoring the babies before and during labour. We have a high vaginal delivery rate for uncomplicated cases. However if and when a caesarean is needed we have an excellent OT with competent doctors and assistants. Even the decision to do a caesarean is taken only in consultation with the mother and her partner.
All deliveries are attended by a neonatologist, ensuring that the baby receives good care from the start itself. The NICU facility is excellent, this enables us to manage high risk cases very nicely. Even very premature babies have an excellent survival rate.For high risk cases and pregnancies we have the facilities of ICU, Physicians, Intensivists and Nephrologists as and when required. Again this helps us to have a Multi disciplinary approach and reduce the risk and rate of complications that a mother faces. Even when a complication arises it is managed very effectively. There is a fully equipped 24 hours blood bank and laboratory. This also helps in the prompt investigation and starting of treatment. Post delivery the mother is looked after in well equipped wards. Breast feeding is started right after delivery on the delivery table itself and motivated till 6 months exclusively.
As mentioned earlier a host of gynaecological problems are handled in this department, from infertility to menopause.
Coming to some of the surgeries that are offered here. We offer the following surgeries
- Diagnostic hysteroscopy and laparoscopy. This may be done for a variety of reasons such as infertility, irregular bleeding, pain in the abdomen, bleeding after the periods stop.
- Operative Laparoscopy. For endometriosis and fibroids and ovarian cysts
- Vaginal Hysterectomy, even for large fibroids
- Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy
- Abdominal Hysterectomy
- Surgery for cancer
The OT is very well equipped with the latest anaesthetic and surgical equipment. Most of the endoscopic equipment is by Karl Storz. We have the Ethicon Harmonics scalpel which helps in difficult surgeries and reduces complications.
We have excellent post operative care and for high risk cases, a dedicated post operative ICU is also available.All referrals for tertiary cases whether obstetric or gynaec are accepted. All our doctors are extremely competent and offer excellent counseling. Patient satisfaction is the aim and the whole department works as a team with that in mind.